The building complex of Március 15 Square, the main square of the town, evolved at the intersection of the northern-southern and eastern-western channels of communication. Therefore it served as the centre of trade and administration. Its unique triangular shape was formed in 1761. That was the year when Saint Michael Church standing in front of the Dominican Church was demolished because of its very poor condition. It is this square where the most beautiful civic buildings and town houses were built at the beginning of the 18th century. The market operated here as well until 1951. The whole territory of surrounding the square, i.e. the city, has historic significance.
The historic building of the Hospital and the Chapel of the Sisters of Charity (7-9 Március 15. Square) was created through uniting two Baroque buildings. The lower part of the building was built in the 7th century to serve as a seminary, while the higher part was built in the 9th century with the aim of functioning as a hospital. The chapel is part of the hospital, as the spirelet shows.
The historic building of the Town Hall (11 Március 15. Square). According to a map of 1680, there used to be a Turkish bath at this place. However, the cadastral register of 1718 shows the town hall at the same place. It was Bishop Mihály Frigyes Althann who started to have the building constructed in 1735, and it was finished only for the honour of Theresa Maria's visit in 1764. On the façade the statue of Justica, the goddess of Justice, can be seen. Both on its right and left side a lying figure of a woman, the Hungarian and Migazzi coat of arms ornament the building.
The historic building of the Greek Church is accessible either through the court yard of 19 Március 15. Square or through Katona Lajos Street. It was the southern Slavic trade families who had the church built between 1793 and 1795. At present it serves as a temporary place of exhibitions, and it is going to be the home of the new museum together with the surrounding properties.
The historic buildings of the Church of the Whites and the convent (22 Március 15. Square) got their name after the white reverend worn by Dominican monks. They started to build their church in 1699; however, due to the Rákóczi War of Independence the work with the interior decoration began only in 1755. With its plain outlook, the one-naveled church is in harmony with the atmosphere of the square, while its interior Rococo decoration is much richer. The unique Baroque burial place was found in the cript of the church by archeologists. It is exhibited in the medieval cellar of the Greek Church. The neighbouring building was originally the nunnery of the Dominicans.
The listed building of Kuria (20 Március 15. Square) had been built on the site of the collegiate church of the Middle Ages, and was already mentioned as an inn in 1770. Its Baroque façade was rebuilt in Eclectic style at the end of the 19th century. The inn operated under the name "Curia".
The historic building of the National Institute of the Deaf and Dumb (6 Március 15. Square) consists of two small houses from the Middle Ages. They functioned as the Bishop's Palace after the Turks were driven out. It was rebuilt into a U-shaped palace towards the court and Maria Theresa and her family were accommodated here in 1764. After Bishop Migazzi moved to his new bishopric palace, the building functioned as a hostel. Later, a nunnery operated here. Afterwards, it had military functions. The first national institute of the deaf and dumb was founded here by András Cházár in 1802. Since then it has served this honourable cause.
The historic building of The Palace of the Grand Provost (4 Március 15. Square) was already a prebendal house in the 1700s but later, in the 1800s it was rebuilt. The all-time grand provost, the deputy bishop lived here. Above the stone-framed gate, a wrought-iron balcony can be seen. The triangle-shaped tympan is decorated with sculptures and vases. The building hosts the Diocesan Collection.
The Triumphal Arch (in front of 69 Köztársaság Road) is a unique historic building among the Hungarian relics. The late-Baroque, neo-Classic arch was built by Bishop Migazzi on the basis of Canevale's plan. Caneavale had studied in France and became the architect of the Viennese court. It was constructed for the reception of Maria Theresa at the boundary of "Bishop-Vác".
The building of the Prison (64-66 Köztársaság Road) was built for the convict of the noble youth. It was named "Theresianum" for the honour of the queen. From 1808 the Academy of Ludovika operated here, while it has been a prison since 1855. The neo-Gothic, richly-painted prison chapel can be found in the court.
The Pointed Tower (12 Liszt Ferenc Promenade) is the north-most corner turret of the town wall from the Middle Age. It is part of a residential building, with cylinder-shape and cone-shaped roof.
The building complex of the Piarist Church and monastery (Szentháromság Square) are historic buildings. The foundation stones of the church were laid down in 1725, and it was finished in 1745. Its original onion-shaped cupola was reconstructed according to German renaissance taste. Above the frontal balcony, the statue of Saint Joseph of Calasanz, the founder of the order can be found in a niche. The peculiarity of the church is its Venetian mirror altar. The monastery built next to the church hosts the Piarist noviciate and grammar school, which was originally built using the house of the grand provost, András Berkes. The ornamented gate of the original was retained during the reconstruction.
The Cathedral (Konstantin Square) is a historic building. This bishopric church has been the fourth one since the foundation of the bishopcy. Bishop Eszterházy gave commission to Pilgram, the Austrian architect to plan the cathedral. However, after the foundations were laid down, the cathedral itself was built in French, neo-Classic, late-Baroque style as it was dreamt by Canevale during the bishopcy of Migazzi. The statues of the façade are the works of Joseph Bechert, the master from Vác. The altar-piece shows the Virgin Mary's visit to Saint Elisabeth, called the Visitatio. The fresco on the cupola represents the triumph of the Holy Trinity. Both of them are the works of Maulbertsch. The pieces of the rail of the original cathedral were built into the balustrade choir-rail of the sanctuary. There is a crypt under the church with the same length as the church has. It is divided into three sections and serves as the burial place of bishops, canons and laymen.
The listed building of The Seminar (1-5 Konstantin Sqare) was built by Bishop Migazzi on the basis of Joseph Meissl's, the Viennese architect's plans.
The buildings of the so-called "Priest-corner" (11,13,15 Konstantin Square) are listed building in Copf style. They have served ecclesiastical aims.
The historic building of the Palace of the Provost (10. Konstantin Square) functions as a residential building at present. It was built in Copf style between 1782 and 1784.
The Bishop's Palace (1 Migazzi Square) is a historic building, built between 1768 and 1775. The garden of the palace is a preserved botanical garden of national importance. The side-wing on the side of the garden overlooks Konstantin Square, while its main entrance opens from Migazzi Square.
The corner building of the Bishopric Library (Migazzi Square) is a listed building, built in Eclectic style in 1878. The financial foundation of the library was raised with the help of Bishop Peitler, who united the bishopric, canonical and seminary collections. In 1925 and 1926 a second storey was pulled up at the corner part of the building, and the wing next to the Bishop's Palace was made to match with it.
Géza király (King Géza) Square occupies the territory of the fortress of the Middle Ages, which is protected as a historic surrounding. The first bishop's palace stood here and was finished by Géza I, true to his promise after defeating Salamon. The excavation of the fortress and the town wall are still in progress. The remains of the barbican can be seen in the courtyard of the school, while the reconstructed parapade stands behind the church, at the side nearest to the Danube.
The Franciscan Church and Friary (Géza király Square) is a historic building. The oldest church of Vác belonged to the Franciscans. It stood on the place of the old fortress destroyed during the siege of the Turks in 1685. Using the stones of the fortress, people built a new church in Baroque style. The main ornament of the church is the richly decorated early Rococo two-storeyed wooden altar. The friary belonging to the church used to give home to György Váczi, the nationally renown bookbinder. A part of the building is now used as archives.
The building complex of the Seven Chapels (2 Derecske Dune) has been a place of pilgrimage since 1815, where thousands gather to worship the Virgin Mary every year. The chapel was built by Bishop Mihály Althann, while the seven chapels depicting the seven pains the Virgin Mary, which also gives the church its name, were only completed in the 20th century. The main attraction is a picture of pietry situated on the main altar. It is an exact replica of the statue of pietry in Máriavölgy. The spring behind the church is said to possess healing powers.
The bridge over Gombás-patak is a nationally unique historic edifice. Besides, it is the only Baroque bridge in Hungary today. It was commissioned by Bishop Mihály Althann and the statues are the works of József Bechert. It was completed between 1753 and 1757.
The Red House (52 Dr Csányi László Krt) was built in 1733 in Baroque style and it is recognised as a listed building.Through more than two centuries it was the the rural building of the bishopcy. Its striking colour was the result of the bricklayers from Naples working here.
The Soldier's Memorial (Derecske Dune) is a listed monument. As the first Romantic monument it commemorates the victims of the war of independence of 1848-49.
The fortress-like building of the Calvary (Argenti Döme Square) can be found in the garden suburb of Vác. This place of pilgrimage was built between 1726 and 1738 and consisted a hermitage, a gathering chapel and the calvary.
The Calvinist Church (Takács Ádám Street) is a listed church in the surroundings of Kisvác ("Little Vác") mainly inhabited by Calvinists. A restraining statute of Joseph II forbade all non-Catholic churches to have windows overlooking any streets. As for the tower, it was allowed for them only ten years later to build it.
The Baroque statues and buildings of the city are of historic importance. The stone statues of Saint Joseph and the Virgin Mary can be found on the Main Square next to the Dominican Church while the statues of Saint Sebastian and Saint László are in front of the Bishop's Palace. There is also a Pieta in Géza Király tér. As a pecularity, the hollow painted metal statues of Saint Joseph and the Virgin Mary is worth mentioning. The bridge over Gombás -patak holds stone statues which are protected historic edifices.
In the historic city one can find many historic and listed residential buildings: most of them are Baroque but Classicist, Eclectic and Romantic ones can also be found. They are usually one- or two-storeyed.
Vác is abound in attractions which are not of historic importance. We possess many locally protected buildings. Among them the Lutheran Church, the Music Pavilion, the Dercsényi House and the Feszl cast-iron bars on the bank of the Danube.
The Red House:
Around Rókus Chapel lay the cemetery where the victims of the 1740 plague epidemic were buried. After the epidemic with Mihály Althann's generous sponsorship and public support they built the chapel with a semicircle layout by public subscription in honour of Saint Rókus.
WWW.DUNAKANYAR.HU INGATLAN.DUNAKANYAR.HU APRO.DUNAKANYAR.HU INGATLAN.DUNAKESZI.HU
APRO.DUNAKESZI.HU APRO.VAC.HU INGATLAN.VAC.HU INGATLAN.KISMAROS.HU APRO.KISMAROS.HU